Sunday, May 27, 2007

One of Those Days

Mt. Bike 10 miles

Planned on riding for 5 or 6 hours today. Instead rode for just over an hour. It was just one of those days in which I couldn't find any motivation. It didn't help that it was 47 degrees with a steady rain falling all day. I didn't want to do another long ride on my road bike, but my mountain bike is still in shipment from Utah (kind of beginning to worry about it now). I decided to borrow Jill's mountain bike because she wasn't planning on riding at all today. My plan was to ride each of the 5 or 6 rideable trails here in Juneau. With the sections of road to get to each trail this would wind up being about 50 or 60 miles. I started with the closest trail but began having issues with Jill's bike before I even made it to the trailhead. Then 2 miles up the trail I was starting to get cold and I just gave up mentally. Usually I can push through these types of days but today I just didn't have it in me. It was all downhill back home and I was actually shivering by the time I got back. It turned out to be a good thing that I came back when I did. Jill's bike was having multiple problems by the time I was done. Spent a good part of the afternoon replacing her middle chainring, cleaning out her rear hub, replacing her rear shift cable, and adjusting both brakes and derailleurs. I don't think any of these things would have made it through a 50 or 60 mile ride, at least not without further damage to other parts.

I easily could have headed back out on my road bike or for a run but I just felt like it wasn't meant to be today. Going to bed now just hoping to feel better tomorrow.