Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Aloha

I'm leaving for Hawaii in three weeks to run the HURT 100. I'm more or less approaching this as a vacation to Hawaii in which I also get to run a race, instead of the other way around. It should also be a good preparation run for The Iditarod Invitational. With only six weeks between the two races I really can't afford to wear myself out too much in the HURT. I'm not sure if it's possible to do this race without it really kicking my ass (by all accounts it's one of the toughest 100 milers in the country), but we'll see. The truth remains though that it is a race, and I've never lost a 100 miler, and I'm at least going to make a fairly serious effort at maintaining that streak if I can.

In an unrelated note: check out this New York Times story about The Iditarod Invitational. I recommend checking out the video on the page as well. The story will be appearing in Wednesday's New York Times Sports section if you're one of those old fashioned types, like me, who still reads the actual paper.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Trails to you on your vacation. Currently snowing here in Vermont, too. Planning to use the VT 50 as my inaugural distance race this year. Mebbe we'll see you at the VT100. Peace, Merry Christmas. Run on.

Anonymous said...

Have a great vacation in Hawaii - wish we were going to be there with you - maybe we will be in Vermont if you race there. I keep waiting for the big surprise that you and Jill will be here for Christmas, but so far, nothing. Sure wish we were going to see you. Have a great Christmas and tell Jill we wish her a Merry Christmas also. We love both of you.

Mom & Dad