Monday, October 13, 2014

Autumn

Wow, I forgot how much I miss Fall here in Alaska. It's windy, it's wet, it's getting darker by the day, and there are many reasons to feel like this is the worst time of year to be in Juneau, but for some reason it's also striking me as a really amazing time right now. I guess it's because I have been getting out in the mountains almost every chance I get. Winter is most certainly right around the corner, but right now I just keep noticing how precious each and every day of this autumn has been. This week it's supposed to be nice and sunny almost every day. I wish I had the endurance/energy to go out for long hours each day, but I still look very forward to juggling things around and finding the best times for my body and my daily routine to sustainably be able to spend several hours out and about.

Also, if you missed the news, I am doing a winter session of my running camps this coming February. Super stoked about this. It's going to be really fun. All the info is here:  http://www.akultracamp.blogspot.com/p/winter-session.html

Another thing: here is a link to a lengthy interview I did a couple weeks ago which touches on my journey through illness for the past 26+ months: http://trailrunnernation.com/2014/10/geoff-roes-working-my-way-back/

And lastly, here are my favorite photos from my last few weeks of playing in the mountains:








6 comments:

Albert said...

Goeff, let me preface my questions by saying #1 I am not a doctor or a coach. I'm just an amateur runner who reads a lot about and participates in endurance activities, and #2 as ultra runners go, I believe you are one of the best and most talented that there has been, and I really hope to see you come back strong and healthy. That being said, let me fire away with my questions. Let's assume that you did over-race and your entire metabolic system was severely damaged. Would you consider personally seeking out and tapping into the knowledge and guidance of a guy like Phil Maffetone, whose holistic approach to endurance, in my honest opinion, would help bring you back stronger than ever and help you run HEALTHY? If not, specifically why wouldn't you? In your blog sometime in 2011, there was this poster named 'Cloud' who, in my opinion, was speaking the harsh truth to you about what he predicted would happen, and it seems like although he was a total douche about it and a ton of other posters threw tomatoes at him, he was right. In looking back at his highly inarticulate, inappropriate yet correct comments, do you acknowledge any element of truth in what he said, and do you wish you had tempered your endurance training to be more long lasting and healthy rather than quick burning and potentially life threatening? My best to you, and I hope to see you back in the results columns again soon, running healthy.

Barry Bliss said...

Geoff, I am a musician, runner, etc. I am pretty sure I have overtraining syndrome.
In my research I came upon an article you wrote a few years back where you talked about probably having this condition.
Though I am aware of you and Anton and Kilian, I have not followed you closely.
I am interested in how things are going with you in regard to overtraing syndrome, etc.
Can you please supply me with a few links where I can read some updates about you and this condition?
If you'd rather, you can send them to barrynowbliss@gmail.com.
I'd really appreciate it.
Take care.

Barry Bliss said...

Geoff, I heard a podcast with you where you talked more about your experience and answered some basic questions I had.
For a guy like me, that has always thought he needed to become a superman, this experience is humbling and a relief.
I hope you are well.

Barry Bliss said...

Final comment:
Sorry I didn't dig a little deeper before I sent the first comment.

chriskilmer said...

I'm with you on loving Fall. I lived in Seattle for a long time and like Juneau, it started get dark REALLY fast come September. I always enjoyed the temperature drop and the physical feeling that something was on the way. I loved cocooning myself in my down bag in front of the fire during the long Northwest winter nights. The arrival of Fall was like having Winter whisper "here I come".

Fairytales and Fitness said...

Those pictures are beautiful! I'm not ready for the colder season to come though and I hate that it gets darker earlier. Luckily I am able to get my runs in during the day.