Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Happy Feet

This has been a very up and down season of running so far for me. It's probably been the most enjoyable year of running I've ever had, but certainly having 2 big dnf's in my top races of the Summer season has been a bit unsatisfying.

One seemingly insignificant (but in fact very important) thing that has been nice to not have to think about all year however has been my feet. Whatever troubles I've had with my body at times this season, foot issues have not been a part of that at all. I haven't had a blister, a black toenail, a numb toe, or any noticeable foot fatigue all year. There are several factors at play here (shoes, continued adaptation, luck, etc), but it's hard not to equate at least some of my "happy feet" to DryMax socks.

I started wearing DryMax socks right around the first of the year and 9 months later my feet are without a doubt in the best shape they have ever been in since I took up ultrarunning. My belief has always been that a sock can only do so much for us. To some degree I of course still feel this way. The perfect sock is only going to do so much to make us better runners, but I can say that DryMax socks are without question the best socks I've ever worn in terms of allowing me to never have to think much about my feet. And really what more can we demand from a sock? If you haven't tried DryMax socks and you ever have any of the above mentioned issues with your feet, I'd highly recommend giving them a try. I was skeptical for years that running socks really varied much at all, but this season has made it really obvious to me that not all socks are created equal.

10 comments:

Paul said...

Hmm. they look good.

I've been using silk sock liners from REI..no blisters, not thick (hate that)..i.e. good road feel.

Geoff said...

paul,
your comment reminds me of another thing i really like about drymax socks: they have about 10 different types of running socks such that there is a thickness that is just right for any type of shoe and/or any type of run.

mm said...

Gents, thanks a lot for the tip. You know, its always the little things which bring the mosaic together and in the end... we will finish a race (or you will even win).
Thanks anyway so much for your blog, it's such motivation - you won't believe it!
Cheers from Germany, Michael

Doug W said...

I'm in love with my Smartwool, so I am afraid to try any others. Although I wish the Smartwool lasted a bit longer. I only get a couple hundred miles out of each pair...

Will Thomas said...

I've tried about every brand, once I landed my feet in drymax I never went back. Haven't had a foot issue yet. With the snow at ws100 this year I made the mistake of wearing goretex shoes for the first 40 miles, unaware of the handful of shin deep creek crossings. My shoes retained water for those miles,yet still didn't have 1 blister by the end of the race.

Unknown said...

Drymax are in a league of one. I use the maximum protection and the hot weather socks the most and their ability to keep your feet cool and protected is amazing. I have tried dozens of others before settling on them. There is a reason all the best ultra runners use them.

Ian Scott said...

I transitioned from not using socks to Drymax and I completely agree. I have yet to have an issue with my socks and I often use them several times before washing.

Cloud said...

Well I just cant effing belief this has been your most enjoyable year of running yet. If thats the case then, man you needa look in the mirror and figure out if your really the elite runner you may think of yourself as, otherise just fess up that this has been an effing awful year for ya. You didnt even finish the two biggest races you entered, UT-MB and WS100. Just say it, 2011 has sucked for Geoff Roes and thats that.

James Hunter said...

Cloud, obsess much?

Are you Ray Finkle?

Speedgoat Karl said...

Amen on the socks man, they are the best hands down.

Hey Cloud, do you think I should run the Bear 100 next weekend? Or is that too much at once after Wasatch? By all means reply on my site if you wish, I'd like to know if you recommend it.