Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Anonymous

Thanks all for the congratulatory comments about UROY. Based on a few private emails I received yesterday I wanted to clear up something I said in my previous post. I am not any less proud or honored to receive this award this year as I was last year. If fact I'm probably more proud and honored than I was a year ago. Defending something like this is almost always harder than winning it the first time around. Defending it for another time in 2011 is looking (based on some of the race schedules some of the other top runners are putting out there) to be even more challenging, a challenge I'm getting really excited about. What I was trying to convey in my previous post was simply that the actual announcement of this award didn't have as much of an effect on me this year as it did last year. I'm sorry if this sounds cocky: but I kind of expected to win it. I don't think this was me being cocky, I think this was me being informed and realistic. I think receiving every single first place vote shows that I had reason to expect it.

As to the obnoxious anonymous comments about a whole range of other random things on my previous post, I agree with most of you who responded to those comments: some good entertainment, but not a whole lot of substantive value. I have had these type of "feather ruffling" comments in the past. A few times in the past I've even allowed them to get under my skin a bit. I have however never taken steps to not allow anonymous comments. Despite being sometimes totally out of line, I think there is usually some value in what everyone has to say. I'm a big fan of listening to everyone's opinion. I think sometimes I even learn some valuable things from some of the most obnoxious comments.

This said, I have thought about this a bit in the past day and have decided to no longer allow anonymous comments. I have no desire or intention to limit what people say on my blog, I just no longer am willing to allow them to fire away anonymously. I've tolerated this kind of thing in the past, but I have decided to draw the line at people using my blog to throw inflammatory, anonymous comments in the direction of other people. I think it's really obvious to most everyone reading these comments that this person is obnoxious, ignorant, and likely quite envious of Tony. In trying to define Tony as foolish, they have of course made themselves the ultimate fool. I hope the readers of this blog can be mature enough to avoid making these kinds of comments in the future, but if you feel the need to you will no longer be able to do so anonymously. At least this way we can all know who we are laughing AT.

Sorry to those of you who post constructive and reasonable things anonymously just because it's easier than setting up an account and logging in. I don't want to keep people from sharing their thoughts. The process of setting up an account and logging in each time is really quite simple. Less than 5 minutes of your time.

29 comments:

krsinc said...

Well said Geoff. If you aren't willing to put your name behind your comments keep them to yourself. Geoff I always enjoy your candid unfiltered approach to your blog, don't change that because of a few haters.

brownie said...

In defense of anonymous posters, without them Tony's nickname "Douche Rocket" would never have made it onto the interweb. I might have to start calling him John Lennon as well.

jun said...

I couldn't agree more with what you've said or that of Kenneth's comment. If people can't stand up to be counted by name and face they should stow it.
Congrats on the win and good luck at UTMB.

HollyV said...

I love your blog, and I love the quality of discussion that often follows your posts. Agree completely with the decision to disallow anonymous posting. Keep up the good work, and congrats on the UROY; I am looking forward to see what you do this year!!

Devon said...

I totally agree with your choice. As public as blogs are they can be an extension of us personally and a personal reflection on our chosen subject. Thus, it does sting when people take it as an opportunity to attack and say things they wouldn't likely say to one's face (and do it anonymously).

Having a lively discussion via comments and feedback is one thing. Disagreeing is perfectly ok. But it just seems kind of ridiculous that people go out of their way to say such negative things.

Drew Gunn said...

Geoff, thanks for the intelligent response to the anonymous slander that so often takes place on the internerd. If you are ever in the Durango area (maybe for Hardrock training?) it would be great to get out on a run with you. Keep up the good work.

matteo said...

well done man!
Have fun at the UTMB, that race it's made for you.

Jon Allen said...

Belated congrats on the UROY award. And we all understand with limiting comments to people who will sign their name to them.

Lab Admin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Justin Angle said...

Very well put, Geoff! Gotta make people take responsibility for their words, especially online and especially now.

Huge congrats on UROY!

-justin

Unknown said...

Perhaps those anonymous comment dropping haters are immersed in a competition of their own: Hater of the Year.

Steve said...

Good choice. If someone wants to read a bunch of pointless, inflammatory, anonymous comments, there is always letsrun.com.

Hone said...

Just read the ANON comments on your previous post and thought it sounded just like the trolling that goes on over at letsrun.

Anyways congrats on the repeat this year. You for sure deserved it.

HEATHERRUNS said...

Well, now you know you're 'famous' cuz you got your first taste of negative publicity :) my fav quote from Bill Cosby " I don't know the key to sucess, but the key to FAILURE is trying to please EVERYONE " And you just chose to not please everyone- good on ya!

Heather

Tatiana said...

Well, I did not read the comments until this post and almost never comment myself, although I read your and Tony's blogs on regular basis...

Having read the comments, I am surprised you did allow the anonymous comments before...

I must say I never read *anything* negative re. other runners from you or Tony, although Tony seems to ignore my few comments on his blog, well that's understandable ;-) Congratulations, Geoff and may be I'll have a chance to say hello to you before Mont Blanc...

Jeff said...

"At least this way we can all know who we are laughing AT" ---> great line! :)

PaulDJesse said...

I personally think no one should ever be allowed to leave anon comments. The BS that goes on from internet tough guys is a joke. It's good to see you taking an approach to at least stop this kind of nonsense in your part of the cyber world.

-Anonymous (just kidding man)

J. Shearer said...

Ha, the anonymous guy was almost so out-fucking-landinsh that it was more comedic than offensive. Always going to be some dick out there trying to rile people up.

Congrats on your year and your award. You make me proud of our misfit sport.

Wyatt Hornsby said...

Geoff: Well said. As I previously said on here, I also had to turn on comments moderation on my blog. There was one anonymous poster who was writing that all of my running meant I was neglecting my son and this poster also questioned why my wife would want to stay with a derelict dad and uncaring husband. Lots of people with ill intentions out there.

I don't know Anton K. but I did meet him briefly before the Leadville 100 this past August. He took time to talk with everyone who approached him and seemed like a genuinely nice guy. I was duly impressed. I'm sure you're the same way.

One of the things I love about yor blog is that you are honest. I actually wrote a post on my own blog about what you said about prize money. You are making people think about and consider the future of the sport. Keep at it!

Wyatt

Billy said...

Good move. Here's to another great year Geoff.

Paul Mastin said...

Hi Geoff! Sorry about those goofs. Thanks for keeping up this blog. We've never met, but if we ever race together, I'll be that middle-aged guy at the back of the pack, just happy to be on the trail. I'll keep dropping in here from time to time for news from the front of the pack! Keep it up!

Unknown said...

Geoff, I respect the position you've taken about anonymous posts. When I maintained a blog, I was quite surprised at the relationship between anonymous postings & discourteous dialogue. It's as though people feel they can check their civility at the door if you don't know who they are. Keep posting - most of us want to know what you think. I gave up trying to analyze motivations when I stopped working as a clinical therapist 14 years ago! Mark (not "anonymous")

robison52 said...

I've been reading your blog for over a year, but haven't posted a comment as I'm a beginner ultra-marathoner and didn't feel that I could post to what I considered an ultra-marathoner God! Nevertheless, your recent post of not allowing anonymous comments is a good idea as it also prevents spammers. I often feel those who make such negative comments are like certain members of my own non-running family...they think they make themselves bigger by knocking someone else down. Keep your chin up and keep fighting the good fight!

wiglebot said...

The only downside is that you might be cutting off the shy girls writing about what a hunk they think you are.

GMack said...

Sometimes these types of anonymous posts become self-policing because supporters come out to tell the anonymous coward they're full of it. Anyway, keep up the posts. Ultra commentary like what you write and other blogs like Karl's and AJW's are always interesting.

Congats on UROY, you earned it.

joerunner said...

Congratulations and well deserved!

Unknown said...

I agree with your decision. If you are not willing to put your real name to your comment, then you should keep the comment to yourself. Have a great 2011!

dannie chOOng said...

hey hey, congrats for being nominated as one of the "Best Running Blogs 2011" hope to read many more of your fantastic running stories. sending you greetings from Malaysia...

Bruther said...

Totally agree with your decision, if someone posts anonymously they are obviously too scared to say what they say face to face and that equals cowardice. Anonymous negative comments hold absolutely no weight whatsoever.