Monday, November 15, 2010

It's About Time

Finally for the first time since August I have strung together several weeks of time in which I'm feeling really good in my training. Beyond this it's felt great to feel strong and healthy in my day to day life outside of running.

It's always really hard for me to feel confident and grounded in life when I am struggling in how I feel in my physical body. For all of September and most of October I felt sick, weak, and tired more often than not. That was a hard time for me.

For over 3 weeks now though I have been feeling progressively stronger and stronger. This has allowed me to finally feel excited about being here in Colorado, and for the first time since moving here it really feels like home.

In terms of running the timing couldn't be better. I'm less than 3 weeks removed from the most competitive race I will have ever run, and it feels really good to be developing the kind of confidence that I am right now. I still have about 10 days of really good training that I need to get in before a week long taper, but I feel really good about where I am right now... Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself.

11 comments:

Michael Owen said...

You running The North Face 50 miler in San Fran?

Charlie said...

Is Uli going to be there? It should be epic!

Collin said...

So far, the top US runners include Geoff, Uli, Tony, Chris Lundstrom, Dave Mackey, etc, along with some good euro talent. Anyone know if Matt Carpenter is running?

Anonymous said...

I think that sound everyone just heard was the competition @ NF50 saying 'UH OH' Geoff has been destroying races when 'not feeling very well' ... I think people will be scared to think of what he can do when feeling like this (and with high altitude training in to boot!!!)

Anonymous said...

Don't forget about Jonathan Wyatt. Mountain climbing beast. 6 time world champion. Obliterated the course record at Mt Washington Road Race. Competed for New Zealand at two Olympics for the 5K and marathon. We'll see how he does at an ultra distance....

Anonymous said...

What about Dakota, also I hear Thomas Wyatt is racing, a former Olympian, and multiple world mountain running championships.I am not sure he has ever run 50 miles. Dakota can run with these guys.

Anonymous said...

I mean Jonathan, not Thomas.

Unknown said...

Cheetahs: BRAGG, CAMPBELL, GRANT(Joe), GROSSMAN(Eric), JONES(Dakota), KRUPICKA, LUNDSTROM(Fast Marathoner), MACKEY(Just set record at Fire Trails), ROBBINS, ROES, SKAGGS, STEIDL, WYATT(Untested at this distance), YANKO
-Best field I’ve seen in quite some time. Too bad Carpenter, Meltzer and the other Skaggs weren’t in the mix.
-Who will crack first.
-A handful could pull into the last aidstation together and then start racing.

Anonymous said...

Granted he is not a huge figure in the ultra running world but I also noticed that Andrew Skurka is running. He just finished a 4500 mile speed hike through Alaska and I am betting he has used that base to get into some good running shape.

Speedgoat Karl said...

We'll have the odds up soon enough....Geoff you are certainly one of the favorites, great to hear you feel good, must have been that 58 miler at 5mph that did it. :-)

Let's not forget this is probably the race for "Ultrarunner of the Year" between Tony and Geoff.

Just a little more pressure and something to think about.

Artimus Mangilord said...

Welcome to Colorado! Glad to have you here. See you on the trails!