Monday, July 5, 2010

Moving On

Well, the Western States dust has mostly settled and now it's back to focusing on my day to day training and looking and moving forward in my running and in my life outside of running.

I began running again on Saturday and feel like I've made a nice smooth recovery.

I was very focused on Western States this entire spring so my racing plans for the rest of the summer have mostly been on the back burner... until now. In three weeks I'll be heading up to Anchorage to defend my title at The Crow Pass Crossing. This isn't big news outside of Alaska, but up here there are more than a few people who will be following closely to see how yet another rematch between Eric Strabel and I plays out (this will be my 5th time running this race and of the previous 4 I've won 2 and Eric has won 2). I'm really excited about this race. I'm going to head up there and give it my all, but in reality I will mostly be training right through Crow Pass so as to have myself as ready as possible for racing over in Europe in the UTMB in August. That'll be my next BIG one. A rematch with Kilian, who has won this race two years in a row; racing over 100 miles with 2,300 people; on a route that has more total climbing than any race I've ever run! Should be a fun one. Time to start doing even more climbing than usual in my training here in Juneau.

10 comments:

Charlie said...

Yes good luck with the training Geoff!

The Americans have generally disappointed at Mt Blanc. Kilian will certainly be looking forward to the rematch and the extra hills (he said WS was "very very flat"!). I am guessing heat will not be such a factor in that race as it was at western, and carrying a pack with the compulsory gear may be a factor as well.

Unknown said...

Geoff - Congratz on your win at WS and all the best for your runs up ahead. I have just started to follow your blog as my interest in the sport of ultrarunning continues to grow. I would love to see you, kilian, jurker, tony, hal, Zach and Matt Carpenter go head-to-head in a race. Hope you continue to rock the trail and road as always !!!

I live in Singapore ... you wouldnt have any plans of running in Asia, would you?

worm said...

looking forward to the Crow Pass showdown. spoke with Strabel a few weeks ago and he'll be gunning for it. should be fun! good luck and congrats on WS!

Anonymous said...

Best of luck getting back at your training! Kick some ass!

Anonymous said...

I don't think the dust will settle from your run at ws for quite a while. Have a great race at crows.

Joan said...

Geoff,what an incredible race at WS. Waiting now to meet you at UTMB, expecting another strong battle between Kilian and you. Good luck at Crow Pass!

Matt said...

Climb, Geoff.
And run your race.
That seems to work pretty well.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget to work on cutting the switchbacks, or going 'Euro' as they say! When in Rome...

Anonymous said...

yes anon, going 'Euro' might be an idea but certainly dont go 'U.S' and drop out at 70 miles...ha ha :o)

Bam, from France said...

Hi Geoff; what a race at WS 100!! Congratulations! The only one piece of advice I can give you about UTMB (which is my backyard race)is that, as you're leaving at dawn, the first night out there can get really cold, with freezing temperatures; and obviously, the next day can be a scorch (in the 90's); I trully am looking forward to see you guys around here, there are about 20 guys who can win this race, I trully wish an American finally makes it this year, but we have a whole bunch of Europeans eager to compete hard as well...
see you 'round champion.
Bam