Saturday, May 1, 2010

Starting To Think A Bit About June 26th

Somehow a rumor got started last month that I was going to be running Miwok. This was never something I was planning and I'm not sure how that rumor got started, but I did feel a bit bummed today to not be running. I've still got some unfinished business with that race and it would have been fun to run against Tony K. for the first time ever. Hopefully we both stay healthy and get a chance to race each other in June at Western States. Having Tony in Western States is going to make an already stellar field even that much stronger. This might sound like a really bold statement but I think only weather (snowpack, heat, mud, etc) can keep the course record from being seriously challenged this year. There are at least 4 runners who will be toeing the line on June 26th who could potentially run sub 16 hours. Scott Jurek's record of 15:36 will most likely stand but if 2 or 3 guys are having a good day that day I believe we could push each other below that time - Much like Karl and I at Wasatch last year. I think one would be crazy to argue against Hal as the Western States favorite (especially after he ran 8:20 at Miwok today), but he's going to have one of the best days of running he's ever had to win it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great run by Tony K 8:20 is awsome WS will be a hot race. Best of luck! You guys are to fast for me!

Weaves said...

This is almost entirely unrelated, but I'll go ahead and ask it anyway:
I was reading through some old blog post of yours when I happened onto the description of a track session you did in your buildup for TNF 50 2008. You ran 5x mile but ran them in 5:43, 5:27, 5:13, 5:13, 5:27, 5:43. You mentioned that this ladder-type progression is/was that is the way you would normally run such a session. I was interested in hearing why that is, how you began doing such,etc. as I've simply never heard of running a speed session in such a way. I appreciate it. Thanks again.

Geoff said...

topher,
i have no idea why i used to run speed workouts that way. i guess it was probably something some coach had me doing in high school or college. that workout might have been the last one i've done on the track, or maybe i did one last spring before miwok... i don't remember now. at any rate, i haven't timed any individual mile that i've done in training in over a year and i don't imagine i will be doing so anytime soon.

Unknown said...

Geoff,

I would agree that Hal is still most certainly the WS favorite...which will be the case until someone takes that crown from him. He's a great runner but I think he turns into an animal in that race. The question will be whether anyone else wants that Cougar more than him. No question he'll be ready to defend his property at all costs.

Wishing you well at the NF race next weekend!

Speedgoat Karl said...

Yah, Hal will be the favorite at Western, I didn't give him the love last year that he deserved. No doubt you and Tony K will be nipping at his heals, along with 15 others, Hal's 8:20 with no pressure to run hard (cuz') he is already in shows he's super fit too. He's also got the best experience there...obviously, with the heat and all. Our race at Wasatch was great to watch too, but nothing like WS will be this year...wish I could be there..but you guys would have to give me a "masters" head start. :-)

Train smart my man, Enjoy NY!, and watch out for those Bear Mt. Buzzards! You'll see what I mean when you get there. :-)

michelle said...

Love you Geoff! Can't wait to see you at Bear Mt. Haley and I will be there along with many more family to cheer you on. ;)

Anonymous said...

don't forget about getting in some heat training before Western States...the heat can break you down fast!

Fairbanks said...

Good luck in NY Geoff.

topher werner said...

Wasn't Jurek's CR run on the snow route? As I understand it, the re-route had less vertical?

Rogue Valley Runners said...

Courses are different, but I don't think I like you guys transferring all this pressure for race day. : )

Best of luck this weekend, we'll see you soon.

hk