Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Sciatica

I'm pretty sure I'm suffering through a pretty serious case of Sciatica right now. My lower back has bothered me for a couple weeks but as I've tried to increase my amount of running the past few days it's spread pretty painfully down the back of my right leg. My back actually feels better while I'm running but the sciatic nerve behind my right knee has hurt very badly during my last two runs and then my back has been very sore after these runs. Last night I don't think I slept more than an hour consecutive because I just could not get my back to relax the whole night.

I was supposed to go back to work tomorrow but I had to call my boss and delay this because I just don't think my back could take the stress of standing for 5 or 6 hours consecutively right now. It feels good while I run but I've noticed that standing in one place is almost impossible.

My plan for now is to not run through any more pain as I have the past two days. I'm taking today off completely and then if I feel better tomorrow I will try an easy run, but this time if the back of my leg starts to hurt I will not push it any further (On Sunday I did 17 miles and it started to hurt a bit at mile 5). And if the running is restricted for several more days then I'm just going to have to try some biking and weight lifting in hopes that I can at least do a little something to keep some of the fitness that I was just starting to build back up.

At this point though, the hardest thing is my mind, not my body. If I can't work and I can't run I have way too much free time in my head. I've been trying to read more and I have a long list of "chores" I need to get done sometime, but my training is always my catalyst for these other things. When my training is going well I find myself much more ambitious throughout the rest of the day, but when I can't train at the level that I want to be training at I find myself often unable to motivate to do the other things I should/could be doing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Geoff,

I had a similar situation; it sucks. When I stand stationary for a long period I get a burning sensation in my thigh. Also, had a sore back after running, especially the long run. The physical therapist told me to strengthen my core abdominal muscles. He had me do this exercise: flex the muscles in your pelvic area—the muscles between your belly button and pelvic bone. It should feel like your trying to pull those muscles up to your lungs. Do this when you get up from a sitting position and when standing flex them.

I did this and no joke within two days the back pain was gone. In fact, it provided relief from the pain almost immediately. He also told me to you ice on the lower back—ice for healing, heat for pain relief.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Chris

"Ultra marathoner in training"

Anonymous said...

Yup.

Geoff, when you described it I understood your pain. My pain is caused by a just a fraction of the miles that you do. I can only imagine.

Chiro helped for awhile but became pricey and almost mandatory. Core work is the solution and a bit of yoga. It helps that my wife teaches it.

Good luck.

Kris

Brad Mitchell said...

Geoff - The sciatic nerve runs under the periformis muscle deep in your butt. Periformis stretching along with the suggestions in the previous two posts should help.

Anonymous said...

Sciatica pain occurs as a result of the general wear and tear of aging. It may also happen due to sudden pressure on the disks that cushion the bones of the lower spine. The pain gets better with time or else one can find pain relief with non- surgical treatment but in some cases when it becomes severe and debilitating, one needs proper medical care. Visit here and consult for pain management http://complimentarymedicine.tv/doctor_index_1011.html

Anonymous said...

酒店小姐
酒店兼職
禮服店
酒店經紀
酒店兼差
酒店打工
酒店上班
假日打工
台北酒店經紀
童裝批發
童裝批發
酒店喝酒
暑假打工
寒假打工
酒店
酒店經紀人
酒店現領

Anonymous said...

酒店兼差

酒店打工

酒店經紀

酒店小姐

酒店兼職

酒店上班

禮服店

假日打工

台北酒店經紀

童裝批發

童裝批發

童裝

童裝

酒店喝酒

暑假打工

寒假打工

酒店

酒店經紀人

酒店現領

Anonymous said...

hi every person,

I identified akrunning.blogspot.com after previous months and I'm very excited much to commence participating. I are basically lurking for the last month but figured I would be joining and sign up.

I am from Spain so please forgave my speaking english[url=http://whatsnewtodaymi.info/forum].[/url][url=http://trendytopicsmb.info/].[/url][url=http://smartthoughtsgi.info/forum].[/url]