Friday, May 25, 2007

Trail Hopping

Run 27 miles

Yesterday:
Bike 3 miles (commute)
Run 8 miles

I was hoping to put in a long run today on the Montana Creek Trail. In two weeks there's supposed to be a 14 mile race on this trail so I thought it'd be nice to get out on the entire trail to check it out. I only made it one mile though before the snow was too deep and annoying to continue. I have a feeling that race is not going to happen.

After turning back on that trail I decided to put in a long run by running several short trails that are all in that same area. I hit the Tolch Rock Trail, West Glacier Trail, Dredge Lake Trail, East Glacier Trail, Moraine Ecology Trail, Dredge Lake Trail again, and then a couple miles of road back to my car at the Montana Creek Trailhead. In all it took me a little over 4 hours. I felt ok. I felt very weak on the hills but other than West Glacier Trail and East Glacier Trail this was a very flat run.

Today was my first of 4 days in a row off work. I'm going to do a fairly long bike ride on Sunday (hopefully on my mountain bike if it arrives - it's still being shipped back from Utah), but tomorrow and Monday will both be mellow recovery days in which I'm going to try to spend as little time as possible on my feet. I've noticed that some of my recovery days haven't given me as much recovery as I need. I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that I spend all of my time at work on my feet. It'll be nice this weekend to spend most of my time that I'm not running or biking sitting on my couch catching up on the last several weeks of New Yorker articles that I've fallen behind on. I think some chips + salsa, cookies, and Dr. Pepper will probably be involved as well... and likely a few bottles of beer.

6 comments:

Chris said...

Nice run. Man I'd love to get to where I can run that far again. Of course I suppose I'd have to stop biking so much and devote more time to running. Keep up the good resting. Feet up and sleeping as much as possible is the goal although we all know that work and other stuff are in constant opposition.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need more rest and less running. Have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

Take advantage of those full recovery days. You have gotten the knack of active recovery, so I'm sure you'll find that full recovery days really can benefit you. Have fun on your long ride Sunday.

WynnMan said...

Nice run Geoff! wish I could be out there running too! It looks like you're in strong shape! I'm really looking forward for summer vacation! Your recovery plan sounds ideal!

Hey if you ever come around Minneapolis, each year they have 24Hrs. OF AFTON. gnarly mountian biking race along the alps (not on the 50km run course, but on the switchbacks which I like) This is a really fun event to watch.

WynnMan

WynnMan said...

Of course there is always the FAT TIRE RACE, which is legendary. Rugged mountain biking race 40 miles through the chequamegon forest and on the American Birkebeiner trail. I run that trail quite a bit when I visit the relatives.

Anonymous said...

酒店喝酒
台北酒店經紀
酒店
酒店現領
酒店經紀
酒店小姐
酒店工作
酒店兼差
酒店兼職
酒店打工